These Bowtie Cupcakes make the perfect Father’s Day treat!
Think outside the box this year! Instead of giving dad another tie (boring!), your child can surprise him with a batch of these super cute and delicious bowtie cupcakes (fun!)!
They’re simple and easy to make and your child will have a ton of fun in the kitchen baking this thoughtful gift for dad (with adult supervision, of course).
Dad might also enjoy these super fun Mustache Cupcakes
Throwing a baby shower? These cupcakes aren’t only great for Father’s Day, they’re perfect for baby showers too!
Ingredients needed to make your cupcakes
- 12 vanilla cupcakes (we used a cake mix – usually cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes but we halved the recipe to bake a dozen)
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 4-6 oz. white fondant
- One circular cookie cutter, about 2 inches in diameter
- 2-3 oz. blue fondant
- One toothpick
- Green decorating frosting
Putting Together Your Bowtie Cupcakes
- As your cupcakes cool, start making your buttercream. To do this, place butter, sugar and milk in a bowl.
- Beat together the ingredients with an electric mixer – starting on low speed and then gradually increasing to high.
- The buttercream is ready once the ingredients are well-combined, smooth and form semi-stiff peaks.
- Scoop your buttercream into a piping bag with a round icing tip attached. Set aside.
- Roll out your white fondant with a rolling pin so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles out of your white fondant.
- Add some buttercream to the back of your white fondant circles. Place one on the center of each cupcake.
- To make the fondant bowties: for one bowtie, roll out 2 spheres from your blue fondant, about ½ an inch in size.
- Slightly flatten each fondant sphere and shape it into a teardrop.
- Place them side by side, with the points facing each other.
- Take a small piece of blue fondant and flatten it out. Place it in the center, between both of your teardrop shapes.
- Use your toothpick to score two horizontal lines on each side of the bowtie.
- Use your toothpick to spread some buttercream on the back of your bowtie. Place one on the center of each cupcake.
- Attach Wilton tip #4 to your green decorating frosting. Frost two “buttons” on each of your cupcakes.
Now all that’s left to do is to serve and enjoy! Yum!