These Popcorn Cupcakes will take movie night to a whole new level. Popcorn is now the perfect topping for your sweet dessert!
No one will be able to deny that these Popcorn cupcakes are totally adorable, super fun and taste absolutely DELICIOUS!
I love sharing unique and fun treat ideas for kids and this is one of my faves! I hope your kids enjoy this cupcake recipe as much as mine do!
RELATED: Cotton Candy Cupcakes So Fun & Sweet
Are you ready to bake?
These yummy cupcakes are sure to be a big hit at your next family movie night or kids’ party! But don’t take my word for it.
Let’s make some cupcakes…
Popcorn Cupcakes Recipe
Ingredients needed to make Popcorn Cupcakes
Ingredients for cupcakes
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp a/p flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup hot water
Ingredients for cupcake topping
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ½ cup popped popcorn
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted in a bowl
Baking and Decorating Your Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together all dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Cream together egg and granulated sugar. Add oil and milk and stir.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix at the same time.
- Once batter forms, add hot water and mix.
- Fill each lined section of your muffin pan with the batter, about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a cupcake.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk.
- Once all the ingredients are well-combined, smooth and form semi-stiff peaks. Now your buttercream is ready.
- Scoop the buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton tip #12 attached. Frost each cupcake.
- Top each frosted cupcake with 5-6 pieces of popcorn.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top of the popcorn… (this is my favorite part!)